Thursday, April 7, 2011

Hear no evil, Love no evil, Speak no evil, See no evil



“Hear no evil; speak no evil; see no evil and love no evil” is not talking about a the Tendai-Buddist legend nor is it talking about the "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" [that] is commonly used to describe someone who doesn't want to be involved in a situation, or someone willfully turning a blind eye to the immorality of an act in which they are involved.” Wikipedia. Proverbs four lists four areas where the Christian needs to keep constant watch on.

First of all, the Christian should guard his ears (vs. 20). Whatever we hear directly influences our mind, our heart and ultimately our decisions. We should guard ourselves against mainstream media sources, ungodly counsel, unsound doctrine, obscenities, foolish talk, coarse joking and blasphemies against God lest we fall into sin. We should instead be able to hear God’s voice and obey His commands just as sheep follow their shepherds’ voice. (John 10:4).

Secondly, Christians should guard their hearts (vs.21). “Whatever the heart loves, the ears will hear and the eyes will see” Wiersbe, Be Skillful! If you love evil, you seek out evil things. If you love righteousness, you will seek out things that are righteous. “Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life” (vs.23). We should not pollute our heart with worldly things but keep it clean before the Lord. Our prayer should be that we ask God to search our hearts and rid us of all unrighteousness.

Thirdly, Christians should guard their lips (vs. 24). Perverse and corrupt talk should never come out of our mouths. Whatever is in our heart comes out of our mouths. “For out of the heart the mouth speaketh” (Luke 6:45). Our speech should always be seasoned with the salt of the Gospel. Our words should always be pure and honest.

Finally, Christians should guard their eyes (vs.25). The statement that our outlook determines our outcome is very true. Our vision determines our values, our actions, and our plans. We should not allow our eyes to divert from the Lord but always be transfixed on Him. We should keep our eyes focused on Him so we do not divert from the path God has set before us.

Memorize:
“I give you sound learning, so do not forsake my teaching” Proverbs 4:2.

Dear Father, though it may cost all that I have I will faithfully gain understanding. Lord I will exalt You with my eyes, my heart, my lips and my ears. I want my whole being to glorify You Lord. I will not forsake Your wisdom. I will protect the wisdom You have bestowed upon me by guarding myself from the evil schemes of the devil who wishes to snatch away my crowns of splendor and the garland of grace that you have placed upon me head. I will keep Your commands as long as I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment