Saturday, March 12, 2011

Bow the knees!

What is the best way to stomp out my bad habits? The best way to kick old habits is by the bowing of the knee. I’m not talking about literally being in that posture but, you guessed it, prayer!
Currently I am finding it very difficult to curb my late night sweet attack cravings. I find it very difficult to say no to the Girl Scout cookies and chocolate sweets beckoning me to the kitchen. Once the thought of eating those pops into my mind it is difficult to think of anything else! As I was reading in my Bible study last night on Ephesians I came across Ephesians 3:14: “For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” WOW!  As I was sitting there on the couch with a pack of Girl Scout cookies in my hands and my Bible study in my lap the answer to my problem became so clear to me. I was not giving my bad habits over to God!
“Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guide your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6, 7.
“It is through prayer that we lay hold of God’s riches that enable us to behave like Christians and battle like Christians.” Wiersbe, Be Rich! Here I was struggling with my bad habits, trying to overpower them with my own strength and not using the power and strength I have in Christ! I was battling myself with my own powers instead of relying on God to help me through the battle. Simply put, I was not practicing Philippians 4: 6, 7.
What are you battling right now that you should bathe in prayer? May I suggest bowing the knee and presenting your requests to God?
Dear God, I come before You with my knee and heart bowed. I want to start giving every little anxiousness and worry over to You. Thank You for showing me that I was trying to overcome my obstacles by my own strength. Today I give them over to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment