Monday, March 14, 2011

Taking Hold of What's Yours in Christ!

Christians do not have to worry about having an inadequate supply of resources to help us in our walk in Christ.  Today, there is a plethora of ways to gain knowledge about God. There are good resources written in truth. We have many different Bible translations, commentaries, and devotionals.  We can tune into the television and watch preaching, hear singing about God, or watch a documentary on Creationism. We can turn on the radio and listen to preaching, Christian news, or music in the style we like to listen to. Man’s resources are vast but GOD’s resources are infinite!
No Christian ever has to worry about God’s resources to help us learn more about Him. We do not have to ever worry about His doctrine or theology! Through Christ, we have an infinite supply of resources at our disposal to meet the needs of life. When Christians pray for spiritual depth and spiritual strength, he will be able to apprehend all of God’s resources.
“May be able to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge that ye might be filled with all the fullness of God” Ephesians 3:18-19. (Emphasis mine)
Comprehend means to mentally take hold of something for yourself. Paul wants us to really grasp the concept of Christ’s love. When we realize in full what Christ has done for us on the cross we will be able to truly bathe ourselves in Christ’s love.  It is only then that we in turn will make an impact on others and turn them towards the saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
What is the result of knowing and experiencing Christ’s love? Fullness. Paul wants us to be filled to the brim with the fullness of God! Positionally, we are complete in Christ but practically, we only experience and enjoy the grace that we apprehend by faith. Apprehend is different from comprehend as it suggests laying hold of something yourself. It is very possible to understand something but not make it your own. I did this before coming to a true knowledge of salvation. In my earlier years, I knew of God; I believed in God; I believed what the Bible said about what Christ did for me on the cross. But I did not make Him my own until sometime later. I did not truly take hold of what is mine and available to me in Christ Jesus. I’m so glad that I did! The resources are there once we accept Christ as our Savior. All we must do is accept them and enjoy them! God wants us to!
Dear Jesus, Thank You for saving me! Thank You for providing everything I will ever need. Thank You for Your grace and Your mercy. Thank You for loving me enough to die on the cross in my place and taking the punishment for my sins. What a merciful God You are!

No comments:

Post a Comment